Monday 24 March 2014

Trend Obsession: Delicate Torq Necklaces

hiya guys; 

Today's post is a little different, as i'll be sharing a current trend obsession (understatement of the century) of mine. As you may or may not know, I am absolutely jewellery obsessed. Six months ago, I accepted a job to work in a high street accessories store and since then, my paycheck has been spent on masses of necklaces and rings. Before then, I didn't really own many items of jewellery. I mainly only owned vintage rings/bracelets which have been passed down to me; and in all honesty, I am waaaay too scared to wear them. I tend to leave those to special occasions.

I've always loved 'torq'/plate necklaces, but since losing weight, I seem to have developed extremely prominent collar bones. This style of necklace is so incredibly beautiful, but on me, they just look plain awkward and uncomfortable (*quietly sobs*, I envy anyone who can pull them off..)
Whilst shopping, I came across this little beauty. Spring/summer jewellery trends seem to contrast - either being bold statement necklaces or dainty chains and pendants. This combined the shape of the bold and summery torq necklaces with the simplicity of the dainty spring style.

Delicate Torq Pendant | Accessorize | £14
This specific necklace is incredibly beautiful on; it just seems to hang perfectly on everyone who's tried it. It's so easy to wear and goes with pretty much any outfit. The thin chains are elegant but still quite sturdy (trust me, if I haven't broken it, no one will). It's by far one of my most frequently worn nowadays. It's part of Accessorize's 'Gold Plated' range, so the colour has not, nor will not change - even for dedicated wearers of perfume such as myself. The colour itself is a true gold tone, not too yellow and not too rose gold either. It compliments most skin tones. The 'awkward collar bone' incident is overcome by the placement of the two pendants, allowing the chain to comfortably sit on it rather than the metal itself. The length can be adjusted for deeper or shallower necklines if needed. Here, i'm wearing it on one of the tightest links - but I do have a weirdly skinny 'barbie neck', as I like to call it (is that weird? I think so.. But come on, just look at that photo?!)

My only criticism is that sometimes, the necklace does tend to twist around. In all honesty, I did think that this style may lay better and therefore move less. The pendants always stay at the front though. It isn't difficult to twist it back and all necklaces do eventually twist; so maybe I'm just being picky.

I can see many being put off of this by the price for such a small item, but being gold plated and good quality, it is definitely worth the extra few pounds. And please don't be unsure because of the photo online, it looks so much nicer in person!

If this is too expensive for your price range, I did a little bit of investigative shopping for you and found a few others of a similar style/inspiration. These are much more affordable and they seem to be decent quality too. 


Left:  Topshop | £6.50            Right: H&M | £1.99

So, what do you think of this trend? Are you for statement or dainty necklaces?


xo, alana
ps, I'm all over social media, find me on twitterinstagram and tumblr!


No comments:

Post a Comment